The 2017 Cleveland Rocks Romance Contest is now closed to entries.
All entries must be received by 11:59 pm EST on March 31, 2017. Due to technical server difficulties beyond our control we have extended our contest deadline. All entries and payments must be received by 11:59 pm EST on April 2, 2017.
NOTE: If you experience connection difficulties within our site or between the NEORWA site and PayPal, please email the contest coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Entrants must be unpublished in book-length fiction (minimum 40,000 words) in the last five years. Unpublished means the author or authors have not accepted a publishing offer for, or self-published, a work of original fictional narrative prose of 20,000 words or more.
Contest fee is $25. You do not need to be a member of NEORWA to enter.
Click here to pay using PayPal.
Email your entry form and entry to the contest coordinators at email@example.com.
Entry: For all categories other than Novella, submit the first 5000 words of an unpublished work of fiction. For the Novella category, submit the first 3000 words of an unpublished work of fiction. A one to two page (max 500 words) synopsis is optional and will not be counted as part of the entry. The synopsis will not be judged.
First Round Judges: Experienced, Published/Unpublished. (All first round judges will be encouraged to participate in our free How to Judge a Rockin’ Contest workshop.)
2017 Categories and Final Judges: The top three finalists in each category will have their entry judged by three industry professionals who will judge the final round.
- Contemporary Long Romance–Mary Altman (Sourcebooks), Heidi Shoham (Entangled Publishing), and Elaine Spencer (The Knight Agency)
- Contemporary Short Romance–Jill Marsal (Marsal Lyon Literary Agency), Latoya C. Smith (LCS Literary Services), and Dana Grimaldi (Harlequin)
- Historical Romance–Allison Byers (The Wild Rose Press), Debby Gilbert (Soul Mate Publishing), and Sarah Phair (Trident Media Group)
- Paranormal Romance– Moe Ferrara (BookEnds Literary Agency), Tricia Skinner (Fuse Literary), and Andrea Somberg (Harvey Klinger Literary Agency)
- Novella–Tara Gelsomino (Crimson Romance), Michelle Klayman (Boroughs Publishing Group), and Stacey Adderley (Evernight Publishing)
- Mainstream with Strong Romantic Elements– Char Chaffin (Soul Mate), Amy Stapp (Tor/Forge), and Catherine Cho (Curtis Brown UK)
- Young Adult/New Adult– Jennifer Herrington (Lyrical Press), Lydia Sharp (Entangled Publishing), and Mary C. Moore (Kimberley Cameron & Associates)
Finalists will be notified on or about July 9, 2017. Winners will be announced at the Cleveland Rocks Romance Contest on September 9, 2017. All entrants will receive first-round judges’ scores and comments. Winners receive refund of entry fee and winner logo graphic.
CRR-MS-Scoresheet Word 2017
CRR-MS-Scoresheet PDF 2017
CRR-Scoresheet-para-hist-cont-nvla Word 2017
CRR-YA-NA-Scoresheet Word 2017
CCR-YANA- Scoresheet PDF 2017